About us...


Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tyler braces

Picked up Tyler's orthotics today. I've been really excited about him getting these braces to keep his ankles and feet in the position they're supposed to be in. But once I got them home and started using them and watching him having a hard time getting used to standing up in them. Plus his shoes have to be a few sizes too big so the braces fit inside of them. Just was a little depressing. I thought about Deborah, Brian's sister. Several times she's mentioned how hard it is sometimes to see her little girl get another brace, or hearing aid, or glasses, etc. I've been so surprised how hard it is for me to get used to these. Tyler is doing SO incredibly well, especially considering how much he has going on with him. We could not be more blessed with him! But it is hard to have him get braces now...just one more reminder that he is quite different from other kids his age. He already has a shunt in his brain, several scars in his head and abdomen from that, a feeding tube in his stomach (to which we hook up a pump that feeds him every night), crossed eyes, and now braces to add to it. It's hard to have him still not walking sometimes (emotionally more than physically even), and to see all the 12-14 month old kids at church learning how to walk so easily, when even though we have worked with him for hours a day for a LONG time to try to help him learn to walk, he still can't and he's 28 months. But then I start to count my blessings with him again, and it humbles me again and makes me realize that Tyler could be SO SO SO much worse off than he is. He is so good. Such a special little boy. Heavenly Father has blessed Tyler so much. And big deal if he still isn't walking or if he is different than other kids. Just makes us love him all the more.
His ankles don't move in them, so it's a bit more of a challenge to walk. Will slow down his progress with walking for a little bit, but should help him in the long run.


1 comment:

Lauren and Tyson Fiala said...

Tyler looks so cute in his braces and he just amazes me every time I see him. He is doing so well and he will walk when he is ready, which I bet will be soon. I think he is perfect the way he is and I love him so much. It has been so neat for me to see his progress since he was a tiny little baby. He has come so far. And with everything he has gone through, he always has a smile on his face. Heavenly Father sent such a special little boy to a very special family.