Mothering involves a lot of those moments of just not quite knowing what to do at the moment. Like before dinner time, I had several things on the stove, I was trying to help Jacob make cookies, Millie was screaming in her high chair, hungry and tired. Aubrey was throwing a fit. It was time for Tyler to drink his milk, and he was not cooperating very well. A load of laundry needs switched over if it was going to be dry in time for kids to go to bed. Blake needed something. I was hungry and tired of hearing what everyone needed all at once. I tried to constantly prioritize what is most important, but with 20 seemingly urgent needs, that becomes difficult. This time, I close my eyes and lowered my head and I just said a prayer that I would be able to know what to do with the situation that I was in. I'm not sure exactly what changed, or if anything did, but I felt like I was much more able to handle all of the needs that were happening simultaneously. About 15 or 20 minutes later, cookies was ready, Millie was not screaming, dinner was on its way to being on the table, Tyler's milk was gone, and I felt very grateful to my heavenly father for giving me strength beyond my own capacities to successfully deal with chaotic moments. That is the enabling power of the atonement, and I depend on it multiple times a day as a mother.
1 comment:
So sweet. Great story!
Post a Comment