About us...


Saturday, July 12, 2014

Book of Mormon summer

At the beginning of the summer, I mentioned to the kids that I had a goal to finish the entire book of Mormon during the summer. I didn't expect the response that too wanted to read the entire book of Mormon by the end of the summer with me! As I pictured in my mind the logistics of reading 5 pages a day with 5 children ages 8 and younger, and keeping inind that our typical scripture times last about 5 minutes a day, I felt a little hesitatnt. But, how could I deny them wanting to read the most inspirational and life changing book that I have ever read? We had read it before, Jacob Tyler and I over the course of a year a couple of years ago. Just not in three months.
So we are on page 340 now. It has been probably the highlight of our summer overall. Every morning we spend about 40 minutes listening to the audio track that goes along with it. Very frequently, the kids will ask me to pause it so that they can make their comments or they can ask a question. What follows is typically a wonderful discussion that allows the gospel to really sink deeply into our hearts.  Yes it almost always involves a lot of wiggles, baby crying, and, but I have been amazed at their eagerness to participate in learning and discussing the truths in the Book of Mormon.  
In addition, Tyler took it upon himself to read the picture, story edition of the Book of Mormon, New Testament, Old Testament, and Doctrine and Covenants. The kids each have 30 minutes or so of reading time every night, and several times I have gone into Tyler's room to check and see if his lights were out, and he was still awake, having such a hard time setting down the scripture stories! He finished one of them in just a week or so I think. After he finished the one about church history and doctrine and covenant, he was so excited to tell us about it the next morning. He asked if he could share a few of the stories he had marked during family home evening. He shared the most wonderful lesson that night, some of the stories that had touched his heart the most. He was particularly impressed by Joseph Smith, that he gave up his life to defend the truth. Several of the stories that he picked out to share your stories like that, I love men and women going through a very difficult thing to support the cause of God and standing up for what was right even when it was difficult.

No comments: